This is a quick and easy way to use up some left over apples! I’ve used this recipe with substituting apples with pears as well, and it’s just as delicious 🙂
Here’s a quick run down on the ingredients (All rights go to their respected owner, from here: BBC Food):
For the crumble
- 300g/10½oz plain flour, sieved pinch of salt
- 175g/6oz unrefined brown sugar
- 200g/7oz unsalted butter, cubed at room temperature
- Knob of butter for greasing
For the filling
- 450g/1lb apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1cm/½in pieces
- 50g/2oz unrefined brown sugar
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 pinch of ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
Place the flour and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Taking a few cubes of butter at a time rub into the flour mixture. Keep rubbing until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
Place the fruit in a large bowl and sprinkle over the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Stir well being careful not to break up the fruit.
Butter a 24cm/9in ovenproof dish. Spoon the fruit mixture into the bottom, then sprinkle the crumble mixture on top.
Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the crumble is browned and the fruit mixture bubbling.
Serve with thick cream or custard.